7 Sure Signs You’ve Been Hacked
Antivirus software is important… but there’s only so much it can do to protect you from hackers determined to access your information. So, how can you tell if you’ve been hacked? Do you know what to look for?
1. Unwanted items pop up on your screen— like toolbars on your web browser, unexpected pop-ups, or new programs you weren’t aware of. All of these are indications your system might be compromised.
2. You’re emailing spam to your contacts… all of your contacts. One or two weird emails from your address to a couple of your friends is not necessarily a concern, but if everyone is getting spam from you, chances are someone else has access to your accounts. Another sure sign is when you visit www.haveibeenpwned.com it confirms your email account has been compromised.
3. Your computer’s Task Manager says your system is super busy when you’re not. If you have even a faint suspicion you might have been hacked, open up the Task Manager and look at the Processes tab. Your CPU usage should sit well below 20%. If it says the CPU usage is 92% when your system is sitting idle, then clearly something is up.
4. Your computer has a mind of its own. If your computer is acting as though someone else is controlling it, then it’s possible someone is.
5. Your connection has slowed all of a sudden. If you’re working on a secure wireless connection and it suddenly slows down, one possible cause is a hacker using your bandwidth to download data from your hard drive.
6. Your passwords have changed without your permission.
7. Standard programs and files won’t work.
If you think you’ve been hacked, you can search online for answers and solutions to fix each problem yourself, or you can always ask an expert for help. After all, it’s what we do.
Yes, we can help you with one-off major infrastructure and migration projects too. If you want to find out more on our Technology risk management, Managed It Services, Medical IT, Technology strategy and Data integrity
You just need to talk to us.